Monday, November 12, 2018

Harold and the Purple Crayon

Genre: Fiction
Author: Crockett Johnson
Narrator: Owen Jordan
Awards: none
Grade level: PK-1st 

I listened to this as an audiobook on Audible. It is about a young boy named Harold who begins the story coloring on a few pages, then lets his creativity take control. Harold and his purple crayon go through many things, such as a forest, a beach, and even a dragon! Each time he goes somewhere new, it reminds him of something else, so he draws that and it comes to life. After lots and lots of drawing, Harold realizes that he wants to go home, so he searches for his home in the big city he has drawn. Eventually, he makes it back to his home and draws himself a blanket and slowly falls asleep. 

I read this book in my childhood, and it was interesting hearing it as an audiobook! I'm not sure if I would have the audiobook in my classroom, but I definitely want the hard copy in my classroom. It encourages children's creativity in a fun and unique way. An appropriate grade level is PK-1st, it is definitely for younger children with simple vocabulary and they can easily relate to Harold. I would use this book in my class to encourage students to be creative and use their imagination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment