Thursday, October 4, 2018

Mockingjay

Genre: Fantasy/Science Fiction
Author: Suzanne Collins
Illustrator: N/A
Awards: Nebula Award
Grade level: 5th-early high school

The hunger games series books are some of my favorite books! I chose Mockingjay just because it was the last one, and is definitely one of my favorites in the series. The book series set in a dystopia where there are different districts, and they have an annual "hunger games", where each district sends one boy and one girl to fight in the arena, and the last person standing is the victor. The main character, Katniss Everdeen leads the rebellion and fights the capital on their rules, and eventually gets everything overthrown. This book is filled with many twists and turns and is a book that has the reader hooked and makes them not want to stop reading.

If I was teaching secondary, I would definitely have this book in my classroom! It is definitely not a book for younger children, but older children will love it. I think a proper age range would be 5th grade(maybe)- all the way up to high school. This book can be a bit gruesome, and I know some 5th graders will enjoy that and be able to maturely read it, but others aren't quite there yet. I also know that high schoolers will love these books as well! In my classroom, I would probably introduce the book series and allow students to explore it if they want, and then talk about how different their society is from ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment